Assembly Building & Theatre

Assembly Theatre26 East Avenue Burrillville, RI 02830  401-568-4300×137 Built in 1933, this historic building is situated along the banks of the picturesque Mill Pond and is the location of the annual Burrillville Arts Festival. The Assembly Building is where the Theatre Company of Rhode Island makes its home and it is the desire of the Board of Administration to utilize this historic structure for more activities, both cultural and family oriented. Theatre performances range from plays, musicals, music, magic,  dance recitals, and children’s plays in addition to workshops. Google Map
Website

Blackstone River Valley National Historical Park

National Heritage Corridor Commission One Depot Square Woonsocket, RI 02895  (401) 762-0250  Fax: (401) 762-0530  The Blackstone River runs from Worcester, MA to Providence, RI. Its waters powered the Slater Mill in Pawtucket, RI, America’s first successful cotton spinning mill. This creative spark began the nation’s transformation from Farm to Factory. Today, the Blackstone River Valley is a special type of National Park – a living landscape containing thousands of natural and historic treasures. Google Map
Website

Chase Farm

Great Rd., Rte. 123 Lincoln, RI 02865 401-333-1100 Thomas Arnold originally purchased the land at Chase Farm in 1661. In the late 1800’s, the Chase Family started a dairy farm on the land, and delivered milk door to door until 1965. This was one of the last working farms in Lincoln, purchased by the Town and preserved for its historical value and open space. The Butterfly Gardens, which are maintained by volunteers, serves as a focal point to this scenic landscape. Now preserved as green space, it is used for a number of activities such as summer concerts, sledding, hiking and other special events. Google Map

Chepachet Village

Chepachet VillageAlong Rte. 44 Glocester RI  02839I    Chepachet Village takes visitors back into the early 19th century where they can relive what the area was like around 1810, when it was a major stop along stagecoach routes and a northern Rhode Island mercantile center. Viewers can visit numerous antique and collectible shops, eat at fine restaurants such as the Purple Cat and Stagecoach Tavern, or visit the Brown & Hopkins General Store, in business since 1809. In the northern end of town, where Route 44 passes the junction of Routes 100 and 102, sits a barn-like structure called Old Chepachet Village. Nearby, artist Nancy Chase crafts stained glass items at the Holidaze Stained Glass Studio. Management area, basketball, boat Ramp, canoeing, freshwater fishing, kayaking, lake or river access, playground, rollerskating, shuffleboard, cross-country skiing, freshwater swimming, tennis court, bird watching trail, hiking trail, jogging trail, skatebaording, shopping. Google Map
Website

Chocolate Mill Overlook

Chocolate Mill OverlookBlackstone Valley Tourism Council  175 Main St. Pawtucket, RI  02860 401-724-2200  PARK LOCATION: Corner of Roosevelt Avenue and Charles Street, Central Falls, RI 02863
Park commemorates the chocolate manufacturing industry in America and Central Falls.  Includes access to the Blackstone River. Google Map
Website

Friends Meeting House

Friends Meeting House 374 Great Rd. Lincoln, RI 02865 401-245-5660  Oldest meeting house in continuous use. This Meetinghouse, built in 1704 and expanded in 1745, exhibits the plainness and simplicity which 18th-century Quakers mandated in their lives. This meeting was the center of Quaker life in northern Rhode Island for several decades and the home of the Providence Monthly Meeting after 1718. The beauty of this building is not in elaborate details but in how simply it suits its purpose and in the craft and fine workmanship in the handling of materials. A large cemetery, resting place of many of these early friends, adjoins the meetinghouse. Open for tours the 3rd Saturday of the month, 1 – 4 pm. Google Map

Great Road Historic District

Great RoadRte. 123 Lincoln. RI 02865 A 4.5 mile stretch of road containing a series of structures ranging from the 17th to the 19th centuries with little interruption by modern intrusions. 300 years of history in 3 miles. Tours available at many of the historic locations. Google Map
Website

Harrisville Center

 105 Harrisville Main St. Harrisville RI  02830 401-568-4300 Seat of the town government, Harrisville is a combination of riverside crossroads and a manufacturing village. Many of the quaint public buildings were built, moved, or renovated by Austin Levy, owner of the Stillwater Worsted Mills. The colonial brick buildings include the Town Hall, library, the Assembly, post office and courthouse. Google Map

Historical Road Rally and Tour

wpcumberlandtourCumberland Recreation Department: 4097 Diamond Hill Rd.  Cumberland, RI  02864 Discover Cumberland’s scenic back roads with the 2nd annual event, a guided tour impossible to get lost on… all one has to do is follow the step by step instructions provided and answer questions…the answers of which will always be located between one instruction and the next. The entire idea is to catch the answer to the questions as you ride and enjoy the route, the scenery and the historical element of it…all of which is also designed to distract you from the catching all of the answers to the questions! That’s as tricky as it gets!!! All participants will be provided with a detailed “Trip Tik” and all questions will be answerable without the needs of smartphones!  All you need is a driver and a good navigator – but this is also a family event so bring the kids! Guaranteed fun and extremely interesting! 2016 Date: May 21, 2016 Google Map
Website  Gift Shop

 

 

Jenks Park

Jenks ParkBroad St. Central Falls, RI 02863 401-727-7455 Built on land donated to the city by Alvin Jenks in 1890, the Park contains the Cogswell Clock Tower, erected in 1904. The Tower stands atop Dexter’s Ledge, which was used as an Indian lookout during King Phillip’s War in 1676. There is no charge to climb. Google Map
Website  

Looff Carousel

Looff CarouselSlater Park, 825 Armistice Blvd.  Pawtucket, RI 02861 401-728-00500×252 Historic carousel built in 1895 is one of the few remaining and oldest stander carousels in the country. The carousel contains 50 animals and 2 chariots and features a turntable moving at 9 miles per hour. It was installed in the park in 1910 and partially restored in 1978. Google Map
Website

Monastery & Nine Men’s Misery

Monastery & Nine Men's MiseryRte. 114, Diamond Hill Road Cumberland. RI 02864 401-728-2400 Site of a former Cistercian Monastery, where Captain Michael Pierce’s comrades made their last stand, and were put to death by the Indians in King Philip’s War. Portions of the original monastery buildings are still intact despite a fire in the 1950’s. Home to the Cumberland Public Library. Also contains jogging and walking trails, and horseback riding is allowed. Google Map

Pawtucket Veterans Memorial Park

Corner of Exchange St. and Roosevelt Avenue, Pawtucket, RI 02860  401-728-0500, Ext. 225  The recently completed park, overlooking the Blackstone River, contains a monument to all Pawtucket veterans and an amphitheater area seating 225 persons with a covered stage. Google Map
Website

Pierce Park & Riverwalk

Pierce Park & RiverwalkHigh St. Central Falls, RI 02863 401-727-8400 Site of Captain Michael Pierce’s fight with the natives as part of the King Phillip’s War in March of 1976, it is the city’s first riverfront park and includes a scenic overlook, riverbank walkway and recreational facilities. Google Map
Website

Slater Memorial Park

Slater Park825 Armistice Boulevard Pawtucket RI 02861 401-728-0500×257 Offers 18 picnic sites, tennis courts and ballfields, paddle boating (swan boats), gardens, dog park, walking paths, pony rides, the historic 1685 Daggett House and historic Looff Carousel, built in 1895. Pony rides for kids take place in the old zoo area that is now set up like a small farm. The Marconi Gardens, near the Armistice Boulevard entrance, is a popular spot for wedding photos, and include a footbridge and gazebo. Permits are required for photos. The Casino houses the RI Watercolor Society Art Gallery. 1 mile of trail in the Ten Mile River Greenway is open with an additional 1.5 mile segment from Slater Park to the Kimberly Ann Rock Athletic Fields in East Providence is substantially complete. Winter Wonderland, Haunted House and other events take place here. Google Map
Website

Steere Hill & Phillips Farm

Putnam Pike, Rte. 44 Glocester, RI The Steere Hill area is comprised of four abutting parcels acquired from 1967 to 2010 with a total of 448 acres.  Steere Hill is open year round from sunrise to sunset. During the winter months it is open for snowshoeing and cross country skiing. In warm weather Steere Hill is a popular place for horseback riding, jogging, geocaching, dog walks, and casual walks. The 68 acre Phillips Farm was the first property acquired by the GLT in 1990. Phillips Farm is an historic homestead that was known variously through the years as Phillips Farm, Cutler Farm, and Cutler’s Tavern. Before the 1920’s this farm was the Cutler Farm and the site of the historic Cutler Inn and Tollbooth. The area encompasses a variety of different habitats including wetlands, forest, and open fields. The elevation of this relatively compact parcel (approximately 68 acres) varies sufficiently so that many excellent views of the natural features are afforded over a short walk. Although most of the trees are second growth, many have reached full maturity; among them is a stand of American beech. There is also an apple orchard that is over 100 years old. The extensive streamside wetlands support a diversity of ferns and flowering plants which bloom in succession from early spring well into the summer. West of Phillips Farm is the 208 acre Steere Hill Nature Preserve acquired in 2002. During the early 20th Century, both Phillips Farm and Steere Hill were used for orchards, hayfields, woodlots, and livestock. Recently the GLT has created wildlife habitat of tall native grasses for threatened ground nesting bird species in Phillips Farm and the summit of Steere Hill. West of Steere Hill is Heritage Park, a 115 acres woodland acquired by the Town of Glocester in 1967 as part of the state’s Green Acres program. South of Heritage Park is the 57 acre LePlat Woodland acquired by the GLT in 2010. Google Map
Website

Valley Forge Heritage Park

Broad St. Cumberland RI 02864 Built upon the former site of the Valley Falls Textile Mill complex, the park provides a rare opportunity to see how a mill was powered by water. Scenic park-educational site located along the banks of the Blackstone River as part of the Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor. Google Map

White Mill Park

White Mill ParkRte. 100, E. Wallum Lake Rd. Pascoag, RI 02859 401-568-2300 The original mill was built in 1834 and later burned. A worsted mill was erected on the site in 1895 by Arnold & Perkins using the available water power. The Mill continued under various owners until closed in the 1960’s after years of service to the community. Google Map
Website